This tart is so gorgeous, it’ll make your Instagram feed proud. But more importantly, it tastes fantastic. I almost ate the entire thing myself which I don’t know if I should be ashamed of or excited about…
Either way, it just shows you how tasty it is. Make it yourself and see!
- 1 red beet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, beaten
- 6 ounces feta cheese (or goat cheese)
- Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Rub down beets with olive oil then wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Roast for 1 hour, or until tender enough to slice. Unwrap the beets and let cool until they are comfortable to the touch. Once cool, rub the beets to remove the skin.
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the beets into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the thawed puff pastry on a baking sheet. Brush it with the beaten egg wash. Take 4 ounces of the cheese and spread it evenly over the pastry. Add the sliced beets and tomatoes on top however you’d like. Season with the salt and pepper and crumble the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Remove and drizzle the balsamic vinegar and honey over top. Garnish with a few basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Adapted from How Sweet Eats.