In my endeavors to make less waste in the kitchen, I’ve been taking day old bread and making them into croutons, one of my favorite snacks! While stale bread may not be particularly enjoyable, just adding some olive oil and seasonings instantly transform it into a delicious snack or topping on salads.
For this batch, I used the butts of the whole wheat challah I made.
- Day old bread, cut or ripped into small pieces
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Additional seasonings like paprika, chili powder, parmesan cheese, whatever you want!
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Layer your bread pieces on the sheet into a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings, to taste.
- Toss with hands to make sure all the pieces are evenly coated.
- Bake in preheated oven until croutons start turning brown and crisp, around 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool and then toss in salads or eat as a snack!