I used to live close to an amazing farmers market that had very reasonably priced, local produce. I really miss it. I also just miss summer right now as I’m typing this post. This galette screams summer as it is filled with fresh heirloom tomatoes and herbs. I love the gorgeous color of beefy heirloom tomatoes, and at their peak, they’re sweet and delicious.
- 1 cups (125g) flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick / 60g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) ice water
- Egg wash, for brushing
- 2 – 3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick
- 1/4 cup (50g) freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 ounces (57g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 medium onion, diced (about 1/4 cup / 40g)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil leaves
- Goat cheese (or feta), for sprinkling
- Honey, for drizzling
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Make the filling: In a bowl, mix the Parmesan, cream cheese, onion, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste until well combined. Set aside.
- Make the crust: In a separate bowl, pinch together the flour, butter, and salt with your fingertips until most of the big chunks of butter are flattened or broken up. Add the ice water into the flour until the mixture binds together and forms a rough ball.
- Flatten the ball into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. Chill for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- On a floured surface, roll the disk out to a circle slightly larger than 10 inches (25-cm) in diameter.
- Trim the dough into an even 10-inch (25-cm) circle. Gently wrap the dough around a rolling pin, then unroll it onto one of the prepared sheet pans. Spoon the Parmesan–cream cheese mixture in the center of dough circle, spreading the mixture out evenly to within about 2 inches (5 cm) of the outside edge.
- Place one to two layers of sliced tomatoes over the cheese mixture. Fold the edge of the dough over the tomatoes. Brush the crust with egg wash. Crumble feta or goat cheese on top of the tomatoes. Season crust and tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the crust is golden, rotating the pan halfway through so the galette will bake evenly. Drizzle with a bit of honey after it comes out of the oven. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from White on Rice Couple.