This sounds like a weird combination but I think it comes out really well. I like the sweetness of the roasted butternut squash mixed with the salty bite of the smoked salmon and briney feta. It’s very simple to put together once you have all the ingredients! It’s somewhat modeled after my favorite, but unfortunately discontinued, smoked salmon sandwich from Songbird Cafe.
- 2 slices of your favorite bread (I used my favorite homemade crusty bread)
- 3 thinly sliced cucumber rounds
- 2 pieces of smoked salmon
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon feta, crumbled
- Mayo, pesto, or stoneground mustard, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a pan with parchment or silicone.
- Toss the butternut squash and garlic clove with some olive oil and salt and pepper and dump into single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast the squash for 20-25 minutes until tender and caramelized. Mash lightly with a fork.
- Layer the mashed squash, smoked salmon, feta, and cucumber on the slices of bread to make a sandwich. Add other condiments if desired.
- To warm, either toast the sandwich briefly in a toaster oven, grill lightly in a panini press, or add some butter to a skillet on medium heat and brown both sides of the sandwich for a few minutes on each side.