This flatbread recipe is so simple and comes together quickly (like 10-15 minutes). It’s great for making wraps, for dipping, or alongside meals. I like to think of flatbread as a great substitute for when we don’t have bread around or don’t feel like making it.
You can customize these flatbreads to make them garlic and herb, add seeds, etc. Have fun with it!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt (or just under 1 cup buttermilk)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Make a well in the center and add the yogurt or buttermilk. Stir to create a shaggy dough and then knead until it comes together into a rough ball. Add a bit more yogurt or buttermilk if it’s too dry.
- Turn out your dough onto a work surface and knead until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll out each piece with a rolling pin until about 1/8″ thick.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or pan until hot over high heat.
- Add the flatbreads one at a time and cook about 1 minute on each side until brown spots appear, slight charring is okay. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve ideally within the next 1-2 hours.