The one thing I crave the most often is a really delicious salad. I often get weird looks when I tell people that, but it’s true. I’ve always loved vegetables and a really good salad always hits the spot for me. My favorites are ones loaded with fresh and dried fruit, some nuts for texture, and a puckery but balanced vinaigrette.
Vinaigrettes are really easy to make at home in a mason jar. We haven’t purchased that kind of dressing in years, and it’s nice because you can customize it based on what you’re feeling.
- 1:1 ratio of citrus juice (lemon, orange, grapefruit, lime) and extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- If you like extra flavor:
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Your favorite vinegar of choice, to taste
Shake up everything in a mason jar until well emulsified, taste, and add to your favorite salad! Keep in mind that your greens and vegetables are not seasoned so you’ll want to compensate for that by salting your dressing a bit more than you think.